3.27.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 28

28. "The Soft Collision" by Machines of Loving Grace

In the latter half of the 90's I picked up an album simply because the band had done a track on The Crow soundtrack that was pretty cool. I quickly learned that the album sounded nothing like that track, but was even better than I'd hoped it would be. It rocked like a grunge band (the bass player shines in particular), it had atmospheres similar to the quiet spaces found in Trent Reznor's discography, and the vocals were haunting and gruff at the same time. There was a beauty that wasn't on the surface, and it was hard to put my finger on what exactly stood out, but it did stand out, and many years later this song still does. I, surprisingly, found that I listen to it regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment