3.13.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 03

Please Note:

The first 10 songs are NOT necessarily my favorite songs by what are most certainly some of my favorite artists. These songs stand out to me (for various reasons that I explain) from the rest of the artists' works, but I could not, under any circumstances, comfortably say that these songs are my definitive favorites from the artists. I have no definitive favorites from some artists; their entire collected work (minus a track or two) would be my favorites.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3. "Dark Days Indeed" by Firewater

Firewater, as a band, was such a surprise to me. Not that they do anything that's surprising, necessarily, but it's surprising that I'd take to them as much as I have. When first introduced, I put off listening to them because I didn't think it was 'my thing.' However, upon the first notes touching my ears, I was in love. Something, I'm not even sure how to describe it, just clicked with me. The song "Dark Days Indeed" was such a track, too, that I instantly loved. By the time I'd heard it, I was neck-deep into Firewater's previous albums, and I guess it was just the right time for me to experience it. Tod A.'s dirty, gritty smokey-bar vocals (not unlike a young Tom Waits) and the worldly instrumentations thrown into the blender with some sort of grunge-rock-folk-gypsy circus mix. It's truly unique, while at the same time sounding like an old friend.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I never thought a band I turned Wayne onto would ever make it to a Garth list, much less, #3!! Firewater is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete