3.21.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 16

16. "The Regulator" by Clutch

This song was my introduction to the band Clutch. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction, because this song is simply amazing. It's like an ages-old folk song, passed down through the generations by gruff-voiced southern minstrels who play by the fire, guitar in hand, to set the mood for the rest of your life. Clutch has some great balls-out rockers ("Pure Rock Fury" and "Profits of Doom" for the interested), but my favorites are their slower-burning, yet hard-hitting, tales. After this introduction, they quickly became one of my favorite bands and have reaffirmed my faith in the power of rock. They don't do anything fancy, they don't try to dazzle you with tricks, they just rock... and they're extremely good at it. I also think Neil Fallon's word-play is unrivaled. The album on which this song resides, Blast Tyrant, is another Top 5 Favorite Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment