3.17.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 10

Please Note: The first 10 songs are NOT necessarily my favorite songs by what are most certainly some of my favorite artists. These songs stand out to me (for various reasons that I explain) from the rest of the artists' works, but I could not, under any circumstances, comfortably say that these songs are my definitive favorites from the artists. I have no definitive favorites from some artists; their entire collected work (minus a track or two) would be my favorites.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10. "Voodoo People" by The Prodigy

This song got me into electronic music in the way that I am into electronic music now, and so I'll always have an appreciation for it. I liked electronic music before this song entered my world, I guess, but it wasn't until I sat in a theater and watched the film Hackers (in which "Voodoo People" is featured prominently in two scenes), that I really, really got into electronic music. It was the furiously fun energy, and The Prodigy are still known for it today. It was at that moment than I began referring to the random disposable club fluff as 'techno' (which I've always felt gets thrown around in a derogatory manner by most people, anyway) and music that is artistically and meticulously pieced together with care and purpose (more than just 'so people can dance to it') as 'electronic music.' The Prodigy are still going strong, and still one of my favorite groups, and I went on to enjoy many other electronic artists in the years since, and it's all because the film Hackers had a kickass soundtrack.


No comments:

Post a Comment