4.08.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 47

47. "Duel of the Fates" by John Williams

Just because I like to listen to Danny Elfman more doesn't mean I can't give credit where credit is due, and this is John Williams' masterpiece. It doesn't play out like a film score, it doesn't need context or characters to have you appreciate the theme. It's just a brilliantly composed modern orchestral piece, and that repeating string arrangement coupled with the enchanting vocal work is probably one of the single coolest things I've ever heard. This song is much better than anything in the film it was written for, (for those living under rocks, that would be Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace), and not unlike Juno Reactor's "Navras" (which almost made this list) from the third Matrix film, I sort of wish the song could be separated away from the film for remembrance's sake. One hundred years from now (if humanity is still around) I don't want people to remember this song as just "that song written for the first Star Wars prequel," because that would be doing this piece a disservice.

1 comment: