4.06.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 43

43. "Paint It Black" by The Rolling Stones

I've never been a huge Rolling Stones fan. In fact, whenever I see lists that try to tell me that "Satisfaction" or "Brown Sugar" are two of the best rock songs ever written, I generally go into an hour long rant about why I disagree... but I can't deny how much I love the song "Paint It Black." And I do realize how stupid it is that a kid who likes The Crow and Nine Inch Nails and the whole industrial scene had to pick a song called "Paint It Black" of all the songs they released, but I actually love this song. I think, more so than many of The Stones songs that are just as or more recognized, it has a feel, a palpable silky primal darkness, that compares to no other song before or since. I can appreciate The Stones, and they do have a lot of good songs ("Sympathy for the Devil" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" are also tracks I love). "Paint It Black" is the one song by them that stands above what I dislike about the band, and remains a song that I don't have to completely like the band to like listening to.

2 comments:

  1. 10 Songs to help you better appreciate The Stones
    1. Moonlight Mile
    2. Salt Of The Earth
    3. Lady Jane
    4. I Just Want To See His Face
    5. Play With Fire
    6. Memo From Turner
    7. Sister Morphine
    8. Sweet Virginia
    9. Faraway Eyes
    10. 10,000 Light Years From Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate The Stones, and I have respect for them and what they've done, I just hate Mick Jagger and don't enjoy listening to a lot of their songs. "Moonlight Mile," "Sister Morphine" and "10,000 Light Years From Home" I dig, but "Satisfaction" and "Brown Sugar" are irritating mediocre songs, especially compared to other songs that were around at the time of their release. And even though I like Bowie, "Dancin' in the Street" is an annoying song, too.

    ReplyDelete