4.04.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 40

40. "REV 22:20" by Puscifer

This song is a vice. Its one of those songs that, lyrically, I don't know if I should like it as much as I do... but I can't help myself. Again, it all goes back to Maynard James Keenan's voice, although having ex-Nine Inch Nails collaborator Danny Lohner on music duties and actress/singer Milla Jovovich lending some feminine backing vocals doesn't hurt either. The best way I can describe this song is sinful. Some people will think this is one of the most evil songs ever written, I'm sure. I find it interesting and, well, for lack of a better word, sexy. Its the epitome of lust. But it's beautifully written and not vulgar. It's expertly executed and doesn't shock for the sake of shocking. I think there's a part of what makes us human that needs to experience, in some detached way, these sinful ideas. Think of it as the same reason we watch horror movies. Puscifer, Keenan's solo-career moniker, is not for the faint of heart (as if anything he's ever done really is, though), but honestly, if you couldn't tell by the name he chose, then you're clueless anyway.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like my kinda stuff. I'll have to get a hold of more of this. I love Maynard, and anything that sounds chill.
    Melissa Johannes

    ReplyDelete