4.03.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 38

38. "Pet" by A Perfect Circle

I really, really love the song "The Noose" from the same album, The Thirteenth Step, but I can't get enough of this song. "Pet" is a beautiful ballad and it's a hard-rocking horror story, all wrapped up together. It's like a Grimm fairy-tale. There are parts to this song that to this day still give me goosebumps (not the creepy kind, but the "Holy shit, that was awesome!" kind... like hitting that first drop on a musical roller coaster). Maynard James Keenan's voice is, in my opinion, one of the best in rock music. He can do anything with his vocals, and it still sounds amazing. This song, because of its roller coaster ups-and-downs, lets him showcase so many different aspects to his abilities. And the rest of the band builds the music up so brilliantly that the final experience isn't like listening to a song at all, it's like living through something wondrous and frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment