4.07.2011

My Top 50 Favorite Songs: 46

46. "Cowgirl" by Underworld

Yet another song that was introduced to me by the soundtrack to the film Hackers. I remember liking the song originally, and then liking it more and more as the years went by. The hypnotic hum of the bass, the slow build of the beats, and the lulling vocals that are not vocals in the standard musical form. These words are saying something, but it's not about the meaning; its about how the vocals become a part of the overall listening experience. The repetition of the words is used just as the bass and drums are, as an instrument. It's the first song I had ever heard that used vocals as a musical instrument and nothing more. I still find this song brilliant, as I do the entire album it came from, 1994's dubnobasswithmyheadman.

No comments:

Post a Comment